View Single Post
Old 2012-09-08, 18:59   Link #118
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
They can already use brain signals to control stuffs without touching the brain itself by wearing a mesh sensor net over the top of the head. Interjecting signals to fool the brain can't be that far off. Have your heard of the theory that deep fear in haunted houses could be due to a strong electromagnetic field messing with the brain?

Where is everyone getting their info on what the Nerve Gear is pls? I used Wikipedia (which I know not to be accurate), and also Wikia. To me the desc implies that the gears interact with the brain, also please ask yourselves how does intercepting motor signals allow people to taste simulated stuffs?
Because the Nerve Gear takes the place of your body. This is just common sense. It simulates taste by pretending to be your tongue and sending nerve signals. It reacts to movement by pretending to be your arms and receiving nerve signals. It's not a fake brain, it's a fake body.

It seems to me that you just don't have the slightest clue how the nervous system works in the first place. Brain science is wicked complicated so I can't say I know anything about that, but the theories underlying the Nerve Gear don't rely on that. You mention the headsets that can read brain signals, and yes those are exactly what is being extrapolated into the Nerve Gear, but that has absolutely nothing to do with interfering with the inner workings of the brain. It's just reading the signals that are being given off.

Think of the brain as a black box. It receives inputs, and produces outputs. We have no idea how it works, and it doesn't even matter how it works. If you put in the right inputs, you can get the right outputs. That's all there is to it. Male and female brains might have different inner workings but that doesn't matter in the slightest when we can only deal with inputs and outputs.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote