View Single Post
Old 2013-01-27, 14:54   Link #152
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The Sibyl system does away with that because it's not even determining innocence or guilt in any one particular case. What it's doing is essentially playing the odds. One could be completely innocent of ever committing a serious offense, and still get locked up on mere potentiality alone. That is rather different from any law enforcement system that I'm personally familiar with.
I think we actually agree in that case. I bring up real world comparisons because from my perspective, there is precedent specifically for the sort of hedging that Sibyl does, not because I see Sibyl as an analog to an existing criminal justice system. I don't.

Quote:
The difference is with a criminal in the real world, we already know he's capable of committing a crime because he's done it once already (presumably, at least; this is the case if he actually is guilty and wasn't wrongfully convicted). So the key is (amongst other things) the criminal demonstrating remorse over his criminal act, and also demonstrating a commitment to not do anything like it again. And that is something that we can try to ascertain over time.
Sibyl claims to be able to objectively measure the sincerity of this commitment to good behavior. I think that sounds like bullshit, but most of the cast of Psycho-Pass -- no doubt re-assured by some very official looking people in very clean labcoats -- disagree with me. At least at the start.

Quote:
With a criminal in the world of Sybil, he may have committed no crime at all, so there might be nothing for him/her to feel remorse over. In fact, that raises a tough question, in my mind: How do you rehabilitate a criminal who's not actually a criminal. What exactly do you rehabilitated him/her to?
Yup. That's where it gets tricky. Unless, of course, rehabilitation is no longer the purpose of your system. Which goes back to the part of mechalord's post which i actually agree with without reservation: That expedience and risk management have become the only concern of the world of Sibyl. I just wanted to draw a few parallels (again, not analogs) to the way we expedite justice in the modern world, to show how something as clean and expedient as the psycho-pass might be an irresistible temptation for a society if it loses interest in lifting all boats (rehabilitation) and instead decides that it would prefer to cut loose any parts of itself that it believes aren't worth the effort.