View Single Post
Old 2004-03-12, 01:12   Link #19
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_goku4
Grandia II is another awesome game that every RPGer should play. Its both on Dreamcast and PS2 although I heard that the Dreamcast version is better. Just about everything in this game is great! The battle system is the best of any RPG out there. Trust me!! And the voice acting is just the best when it comes to games. Its all great! :gameplay is about 40 hours also.

And if you liked the battle system alone, Grandia Xtreme is a must play. Its not great with the story, and the voice actors suck on this one, but the battle get intense. I absolutley love the very last fight ( which is about 115 hours into the game; thats not a typo, I said 115 hours) where you are up against a level. 200 monstrosity(Zanothlee) and only at this point you are your party of four is around level 100. This is soley for those who love the grandia battle sytem. : gameplay time for this game is around 115 hours and more.
Another Grandia fan. Yes, grandia does have the best battle system of any RPG. Even though it's turn based, it often feels more like it's in real time. It's really too bad the story sucks in grandia 3, but grandia is the only rpg that I'd actually play for the battles. Usually they're a pain, but in the grandia series they're actually fun. I also recommend grandia 1 for psx. The story starts out average on disk 1, but gets good on the 2nd disk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
Funny how three bishoujo games made it onto the list

Kanon - One of the most emotional game I've ever played. The story is top notch, with the anime version only composing of a mere fraction of the game. The game is also much, much sadder than the anime.

Mizuiro - OMG, the anime did not give this game justice. Hiyori's storyline was butchered in the anime. Her story in the game is so, so, so sad. I cried so much

Air - There's a reason why this game was voted as the best game in Japan for two years in a row, and yes, it's a dating sim.

Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars/2173 Testament - Hands down, best story for the GBA. The only other real contender is Super Robot Wars R. If you haven't played it yet, do yourself a favor and get it. Having a great storyline is one thing, but most games lack another important factor: Character Interaction. I think it was the only GBA game to ever make me cry.

Super Robot Wars Alpha - Imagine a strategy game that takes the characters/storyline of over 15 mecha series such as Getter Robo, Mazinger Z, Evangelion, Gundams, Macross, etc and combines them all together in the same universe to form and epic storyline. Best scene ever: reinacting End of Eva, and stopping it.

Xenogears - I don't think I need to explain why.
I wouldn't think it's funny at all that 3 bishojo games make it. Some have really great plots. It's really a shame more aren't released in english.
Super robot wars alpha sounds great. I think I'll see what I can do about getting it, which will probably be nothing unless it's for dreamcast, since that's the only system I have that can play import games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashi25
And a new rpg for PS2 is a hate or love it game great story Disgaea Hour of Darkness and once you beat it can still continue to play and advance farther earn secrets etc.
Disgaea is great. I just beat it the other night. Now I need to beat it again so I can get the good ending. After that I'll try to beat the cave of trials and the alternate netherworld, but I'm not looking forward to leveling up to 2000+ It took me 110 hours to beat which is by far the longest time I've spent playing and my characters' levels were only high 70s, low 80s. Maybe if I transmigrate them a few times...
well to add to the thread, I'd have to say Star Ocean 2 for psx. The story isn't groundbreaking, however, the level of interaction with the characters is. You can make couples out of any characters you want through private actions. Of course it's harder to get some characters together than others, and if you want you can screw things up between them, and have them all alone at the end. Also you can make your own items from raw materials. This includes the ability to forge checks and bond certificates. It's a great game, and I highly recommend it to anyone with either a psx or ps2.