View Single Post
Old 2009-06-26, 00:06   Link #89
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
While I enjoyed this chapter, there is no question in my mind that Mr. 2 will live through this, and thus the dramatic effect has been lessened a bit for me in that sense.
That may be true. But, you will now wonder about how he will survive (Luffy surviving the damage of the poison was a pretty good experience for me), escape, and meet with Luffy or his okama people in the future....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
In my eyes it's all about presentation, these characters, along with others, appeared to be making the ultimate sacrifice to save others. Much like Bellamare did to save Nami and Nojiko. When time after time these brave and courageous acts that are portrayed as life ending sacrifices to save others, result in nothing more than a few bruises. This can be a little frustrating to say the least. Mainly when the situation arises again, because we the reader know (for the most part) that everything's gonna be just fine, thus the tension isn't as high.
I think there was a big difference between Bellemare's case. Bellemare knew that she would die and acted after accepting that fact.

Pell knew that he was going to save others while he may not survive. His only thought was to save others, instead of worrying about his future.

Pagaya assumed that he will die with the lightning (without getting struck by it before, only hearing about it, which may include Enel throwing people down the cloud for a certain ending as a combination of two). It is not like what Bellemare thought about herself, when she experience death herself through the people around her many times. Anyways, Pagaya didn't want his daughter to experience that presumed fate. But, as the story progressed we saw that Enel's power was not as accurate as the number suggested. Considering that we haven't seen a single character turned into coal both inside and outside. Instead they only had a temporary change in skin color, and experienced the sleeping effect associated with that.

Last edited by Sazelyt; 2009-06-26 at 00:27.