View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 13:42   Link #2899
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
They're not in school if they are working on a movie set. The studios must pay for tutors with whom the kids meet each day. This has been true in Hollywood for many years. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that pressure from the Screen Actors Guild played a role in getting such a law passed. Most kids who appear in movies do not continue as professional actors, so making sure they have an education and skills beyond acting is important. One such example is Academy Award nominee Justin Henry who eventually attended Skidmore and now is a business executive.
Quite a different system from Japan. Child actors are required to attend an minimum amount of school days, to the point there is no need for a separate tutor. I actually find the "not going to school to the point of needing a tutor" situation to be absurd and indicative of the problems with the US entertainment industry.

Quote:
I'd bet the AKB48 girls don't belong to any unions or engage in collective bargaining. Am I wrong?
I'm pretty sure that unions have no place in the particular setting, although obviously there is collective bargaining. Frankly, I've always considered unions in the context of the entertainment system as more of a interest group rather than true unions of the industrial sector.

PS: I'm anti-union in general, so I tend to look at unions in a negative light.

Quote:
You know, if you could get past your obvious dislike for me, you'd notice that I said it was an anime. I was simply asking whether the absence of any indication that the girls in that show receive any education beyond singing and dancing was indicative of the actual state of Japanese labor law as it covers young kids in the performing arts.
And my problem with your example is that the anime is set in the mid 21st century, in an interplanetary society that cannot be compared to anything of current Japan. If you used examples such as Nakagawa Kanon from The World God Only Knows, I might be more open to your example.

Specifically to your question: See the first part of this post.

For your information, I do not have any dislike for you. I only have problems with the blatant individualism superiority I tend to see quite often in Animesuki discussions, regardless of whoever says it.

PS: The way you're constantly trying to apply a local situation to Japan is really a form of bigotry, although not necessary in the negative context. I know one tends to see things in the view of their experience, but from how I see it, you're trying to cookie cut things to fit what you know and what you experienced. You need to be more open-minded about this instead of what you've been posting so far.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote