View Single Post
Old 2010-08-18, 15:34   Link #16
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I am a sort of an anomaly for someone my age, as now that I live in my apartment I never get take out or that jazz, but simply cook everyday. When I feel lazy I might make an easy frozen dinner, but only the high quality ones.

However, I disagree with the notion that good cooking can be made in simply 15 minutes. Many of the dishes I prepare take hours to prepare, though they are quite delicious (Try making chile rellenos in 15 minutes, I dare you). For people who work 9 to 5 jobs everyday, it's a challenge sometimes to get yourself to cook healthy meals all the time.

Also, while it may not take thr longest time to cook, it still takes anyone awhile to keep up with the cleaning of dishes, pots, pans, etc. ESPECIALLY if you are like me and have no dish washer.

However, I do make huge batches of many things so that I only really have to spend my time cooking every 3-4 days, and the others require a simple heating up process of about 5-10 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
If time is a factor, what many of us busy moms do, is cook large batches of something, then freeze the remainder. That way, you can Simply microwave (or whatever) the remainder another day.
A couple of people I know cook a lot during the weekend so they can put it in containers for the week.
It also helps when people buy stuff in bulk (like the large packages of meat); cook the dish you want to use it in ahead of time, rather than have to wait for it to defrost, etc. That way, you don't run into the issue of "Oh crap, the meat's not defrosted, oh well we'll just grab something".
Heh, moms and me apparently .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote