Thread: Licensed Tamako Market
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-31, 21:59   Link #750
Warm Mist

I continue to find the use of music in this show odd, but sort of appealing. I can't quite pinpoint what it is exactly, but moments like the musical scene in ep 2 with Midori, the mood of the piece used for the scene in ep 3 with Shiori and the mirror (and it was used again this episode when Anko went into the closet), or in this episode Tamako singing that plot-related song being overlay over the theme melody being whistled and ending the cut in a lingering way. Another part in this episode is the lounge-type music playing when Anko is helping the florist dress a kid, which has its volume turned up for the first festival cut, connecting it to the previous scene, which is clever as it creates a continuity of the two parts as if they pertained to the same thing, which is Anko being delayed and eventually not going to the museum. The pieces themselves are quite interesting too, I would say.

Now that I think about it, not just the music direction but a lot of the composition and direction in Tamako Market seems quirky and off-beat compared to the much more wholesome and uniform K-On. I think it stems from the livelier setting and varied cast, and the fact that it is an original anime, giving the director (and enshutsu) more creative freedom regarding the tone and presentation of the material. I can't say I dislike it, it gives the show a kind of unique freshness for its genre that I appreciate.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote