View Single Post
Old 2012-08-10, 12:46   Link #73
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
First Strike Duel would be a public event, I doubt people make duel to the death a public event, even if it is between two consenting players. The fact that there is an option for Duel to the death is already strange.

But as for why people would care, I would care if there are duels going on that someone is killed, wouldn't you?
I was talking about the designers of the game, not the public reaction. They wouldn't program the Winner message like that because it's stupid and annoying to all the players eating in restaurants nearby or whatever. Also, not at all how it's described in the story.

Quote:
But we are getting side tracked and pigeon holed into this argument about sleeper duel. My original intention was to point out collision system do not make sense for SAO. There can be other examples outside of the town in the game world where that would be so as well, not necessary focusing on sleep PK in town. A system that allows other players to be able to forciblly control another player's action cannot be a fair system.
It all comes down to realism. People want to be able to touch other people. if you can't do that, then there's no point in inventing VR. It's as simple as that. So being able to wrestle with someone or whatever has to be intended. This isn't "unfair" because strength is an arbitrary system. Girls aren't weaker than boys, or any of the other "imbalances" that plague real life. It doesn't even have to be based on their character's strength stat (although it is, in GGO anyway). On the other hand, there's no reason to believe it has to be so accurate that mouths can be covered up to prevent speech. Being able to verbally forfeit a duel or report harassment is incredibly necessary for normal gameplay, and hardly breaks immersion at all since most people don't have a strong sense of when a mouth has been completely 100% covered.

The second half of this is whether or not the menu should be "touchable" or just reading the motions of your arm. Honestly, I'd just attribute this to laziness. The rest of the game is already programmed to work with collision, and depending on arm positions and such there's a very real possibility of the menu motion de-syncing with the arm motions if they worked on entirely separate levels. Given that sleeping in a game is not really a thing that would come in beta or design, and that there are plenty of anti-harassment tools available to prevent people from touching you without your consent, it's extremely easy to imagine that it just never came up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocah View Post
They simply can't control them.

You can't open another players menu (you can't steal others stuff, if you could open the menu you could steal stuff) but a duel initiation produces a popup for the other party which you could accept with a sleeper
That also makes a lot of sense. It's also true that we'd hear about the sleep-thieves way before the sleep-PKs, given that most people are reluctant to kill in the first place. A way to steal items from other players is a much bigger deal than a weird duel exploit. Again, in terms of the programmers.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote