Thread: Licensed Kuragehime (TV)
View Single Post
Old 2010-11-09, 23:34   Link #221
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post

it just came to me the idea that she may not feel like a princess because she sees herself more like an otaku (her behavior and antics do point in that direction); and in her mind, since she is an otaku, she can't be a princess---and the two can't go together. That probably explains why I couldn't quite see the lack of self-esteem in her character, or why she may find the beautiful ladies to be such a distant dream and still be curious about it. I did take a look at those scenes, especially the mirror, and it made wonder, does she not find herself beautiful, or can she only see herself as an otaku? of course, she does not explicitly state the latter, and I may be taking some liberties interpreting the scenes, but I can't help but read them this way. Also, during the third episode, she never does take a moment to take a look at herself after the makeover. was she too worried about how her friends will take her new appearance? did it not cross her mind the idea that she was beautiful? or did she already set in stone the notion that because she was an otaku, she couldn't therefore be beautiful? I don't cross out the idea that lack of self-steem may have something to do with it, but I want to think also that's it's perhaps not the most important aspect.
I think that lack of self-esteem is a part of her problem. She 's not acting "normal". Nor is the concept of separating oneself from "beautiful people" normal. It's like some sort of protection mechanism that the nuns have to wall themselves off to avoid reality of their situation and the fact that they couldn't be "beautiful" or prob a fear of rejection by "beautiful people". Beauty is relative but somehow that wasn't taught to those nuns. Those nuns have also managed to assemble into a group which only perpetuates the problem for new arrivals like Tsukimi thru peer pressure as only like minded people are their "friends". You basically have a group of people with something like an avoidant personality disorder in the same house. Tsukimi won't become "normal" unless you separate her from them and give her some counselling.