View Single Post
Old 2012-06-12, 17:38   Link #1123
GrimJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
[B] To bring it back, could you show village elders sacrificing a child in modern Japan without it seeming totally impossible? I wonder.
It would really have to be fairly isolated community but just watch the news and we can see horrors daily.

...In some parts of Africa it is not unknown for children to be sacrificed to protect people from witchcraft, not pretty but it has been known to have happened in recent memory to me... I heard about it on the BBC.

as a response to your response.. the story in question did not happen in a backward community but in a modern urban setting, the main connection is fear of the unknown.

when people are truly afraid all kinds of nonsense can be justified

I am not sure on the amount of human sacrifice that occurred in the past at Shinto Shrines or even if it ever did, (most probably though) The thing is the village elders used the plague to cover up the sacrifice as they would put it out that the victim just died of the plague.

Why Aki and Yukariko would keep silent is a matter of power imbalance and fear of being isolated (if not killed) as well. The people who perpetrated this crime are those in power and there was little recourse to go anywhere else. This was post war Japan under American occupation after all, not the modern society in Japan now

Last edited by GrimJack; 2012-06-12 at 17:54.
GrimJack is offline   Reply With Quote