Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Working!! / Wagnaria!!
View Single Post
Old 2010-03-07, 15:34   Link #52
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

There is a kind of humor that I love but that some other people just don't find funny. And that's okay. It's the humor that was in Seitokai no Ichizon and in Ichigo Mashimaro and is now in this: bizarre absurdity, doing repeated riffs on comic memes, setting up expectations and then contradicting them, ridiculing people but not in a nasty way, more as a recognition of our common humanity. Did anyone who disliked this episode like either of those earlier shows? Or Monty Python, which is the archetype of this sort of thing for me?

All the main characters here have strong contradictory aspects to their personalities -- which I consider a good thing, and a wellspring of humor. The little girl is actually the protagonist's senior. The protagonist is a straight-up guy who is also a lolicon. The mature-seeming manageress is actually lazy, violent, and immature. The sweet crew chief carries a katana. The scaredy-cat worker bashes guys on sight. The scary head cook is really a nice guy. This is part of what makes all these characters interesting to me in ways that characters in other comedy shows often aren't. Giving your characters contradictory aspects is a trick of scriptwriting to make characters seem real (since real people are contradictory).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote