View Single Post
Old 2008-12-28, 16:14   Link #2039
wisteria233

I really liked the way that Sheryl was developed.

She started out the series as a character with severe flaws, flaws which were addressed, and expanded upon. She also kept some character flaws to make her development more believable, and to make her more relatable to viewers. For instance Sheryl is starts out the series as a too proud, too independent, stubborn, workaholic songstress, that never looks before she leaps both figuratively and literally, and at first glance seems very flighty, and generally uncaring about the people around her. However, her as expanded upon her flaws are dealt with for front and center. As the story expands Sheryl begins to care about the people in Frontier, we also had the pleasure of seeing past the front that she puts up in front of strangers, and we got a good picture of the real Sheryl.

While pride and independence isn't a problem, having too much of it is, no matter who you are. Sheryl had too much pride and independence, and while it was deserved she still needed that slice that humble pie, she needed to learn how to rely on others. Once Sheryl fell sick she found herself in the position where she had no pride to spare, where she was completely helpless had to rely on others to help get her through the hard times. I like how she learned to depend on others, and how humble she became as a result of that. Through that Sheryl was able to re-evaluate whats important, and what she wanted out of life.

Yet through all that she kept her stubborn, workaholic attitude, that she was known for. That's how we got the Sheryl we know and love.

I think what I like best about her character is not only how she developed is also how she able to develop and still maintain some flaws, she is still Sheryl; which is rare for characters in mecha anime now a days. She doesn't start out the series as a perfect character and she doesn't end series as one either.

That's why I like Sheryl