View Single Post
Old 2007-09-12, 23:57   Link #81
SilentKnight
Yukio Sumadera Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedizzle View Post
For intelligent Hip Hop/Rap, who's the judge? I mean does this some specific criteria before a piece of music becomes intelligent? Is it the message it portrays? Is it the flow? The lyrics? I mean does it have to portray a positive message?

Can it not just appeal to a wide, diverse group of people? Shouldn't music just bring people to listen to it and enjoy it?
How do I judge intelligent hip hop/ rap?
Lyrical content:
How complex and intricate are the rhymes? Are they simple one word one syllable rhymes?
bat, cat, hat
Or are they more complex rhymes like:
lyrically, spiritually, critically

How complex and intricate and diverse are the rhyme schemes used? Once again, simple one word rhymes that only occur in single syllables at the end of the line?
cat, hat, bat
Or more complex multi-syllable schemes?
"I hold the mic and use it like a lightning rod
Silent Knight is the undisputed rhyming god"

Does the rapper only rhyme at the end of each line?
"This is how you spit a rap
Yes I know this sounds like crap"
Or does the rapper make an effort to use internal rhymes?
"Better panic and hide when I'm grabbin the mic
Wrote the art of war to rap and the strategy guide"

How clever are a rapper's lines, how much thought did the rapper put into them, do the lines make you think, do they catch you off guard with some witty reference?
Take something relatively simple:
"My rhymes flow like water"
Compared to something real witty:
"My sharp mind can turn my words into weapons
Headbutt a clock and split an hour into seconds"

I really do hope the rapper has something more to say than "I like scantily clad women, drugs, expensive cars, jewelry, big houses, etc." or "I'm rich, watch me flaunt my wealth." For me, something with a more socially and politically charged message usually leaves a lasting impression and makes you consider what's being said and really just increases its replay value. Even something abstract and out of the ordinary is a breath of fresh air.

and there's a whole bunch of other criteria I use to judge it that I'm too lazy to type up and post so hopefully you get the drift.

Last edited by SilentKnight; 2007-09-13 at 00:08.
SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote