View Single Post
Old 2012-02-26, 06:50   Link #181
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And it's not a "baseless expectation" to expect a sequel to be similar to its original, because sequels usually are similar to the original.

The differences between Bake and Nise are pretty substantial, imo. It's only natural that many people who liked Bake would dislike Nise (or at least some episodes of Nise).
I think this is the main reason why so many people have such strong reactions against Nise - for a sequel it really is quite different than its predecessor. Oh sure, it has its Nisio-style dialog and Kaiki, and it's not like there wasn't any fanservice in Bake, but there seems to be a shift in the focus. To me, rather than a sequel, Nise feels like a fanservice OVA (remember these girls? Well, here they are again! In sexier situations!) that somehow got extended to a full season.

I don't know if the perverted/wacky side of Nisio that has been restrained in Bake has taken over or anything, but that certainly what it seems to me. There's still a point in the scenes (like in this ep, it shows that after the events of Karen Bee Karen has became much closer to Araragi and not all tomboyish) but there's definitely a higher fanservice to plot ratio in these scenes.

Now, for SHAFT, obviously they're going to adapt Nise. Bake is a huge success in sales and acclaim, and Nise is part of the ongoing story so despite all the increased focus in fanservice, it isn't that skippable (Kaiki isn't gone for good, and the fire sisters are definitely sticking around). Now they have a choice whether to adapt all these fanservice scenes faithfully, or skip it to go straight to the more plot-relevant stuff. They chose the former by doing things faithfully, but instead of doing a by-the-numbers 'let's get this over with approach', they instead completely revels on it and make it as grand as possible.

Now this may be my personal opinion, but to be honest I don't mind it. Maybe it's because I'd rather prefer a faithful adaptation than experimenting to make the anime has its own take and flavor of the source material (though to be honest, this is just because usually the anime studio screws this up instead of making it better). Do I wish they can swap the budget with Bake? Well, yeah I do, but to be honest I'm also in awe of the audacity of how they're willing to burn the budget and do everything just for fanservice scenes - so over the top I looped back to being impressed.

So yeah, after watching the first few ep of Nise I adjusted my expectations of Nise - to take an example, more of a fumoffu sequel than a Second Raid (though I still think fumoffu > Nise). Like I've said before, I'd rather that this fanservice interlude doesn't last as long as full season, but apparently Nisio himself dedicates a full blown novel for this in the first place, allegedly with as much focus on the fanservice scenes as well, so it really isn't all SHAFT's fault.

All I'm hoping is that SHAFT doesn't burn all their budget on this with nothing to spend on further seasons. Also, I really hope that this is just a one time venting thing for Nisio, and that the increased fanservice ratio won't be an ongoing trend going forward in further novels. Because really, as much as I derive enjoyment from Nise for what it is, I still prefer the Bake approach and wish that it's the style future novels are sticking with as well.