View Single Post
Old 2008-11-20, 04:28   Link #860
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Are there Otaku Surrogates? (as addict as male otakus and can get stuck as much as male otakus are in their houses and the like etc etc like Konata )

AFAIK, female otakus are more in touch with real life than male otakus
There's a group of female otaku at the school where I teach, and they seem to be much more open about their interests than the boys. (Either that, or the boys are more embarrassed about confiding in me, while the girls don't care). They seem to be very into things like Lucky Star, Suzumiya Haruhi, and a sizable amount of shonen series with prettyboy characters. I'm also beginning to suspect that they're closet fujoshi as well, which at 14 is a little too young in my book, but I'm sure there are American yaoi fangirls that age, too.

For my part, I tell them I watched various anime that aired on TV in the US, while feigning only a passing familiarity with other things. ("Lucky Star? That's about dancing cheerleaders, right?") They're curious about all the English editions of Japanese series, and I think they're pressuring me to show some of it. I probably shouldn't break copyright law at the school, though, right?
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote