View Single Post
Old 2013-01-04, 20:02   Link #35
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
If determinism states that every event is 'set in stone' then decisions or even illogical brainactivity could be calculated beforehand

The problem here is with for instance my 'dessert' example:
I could choose chocolate over vanilla, because my brain desires it more
but I could decide against it because i want to savour the chocolate on a later time
Watch the link in OPs very first post. What you think is "free will" or whim might very well be the effects of an underlying, calculable expressions, the effects of your upbringings and past behaviours. Just because we practically can't do it yet, due to the many factors involved doesn't mean it's not possible. If you watch PsychoPass, it's the similar principle used in Sibyl System.

Since I study Earth Sciences, I can give you another example with Earthquakes. Earthquakes are, as far as practicality is concerned, unpredictable. However, in 'theory', if we can know for sure the position of all the elements in the crust how they interact with each other, then (again, in 'theory') we could predict earthquakes. But, to acquire such information would require a huge effort that which renders this impractical, and thus 'impossible'.

Like how Einstein's equations allows for the existence of time machines but for all intents and purposes, an 'impossibility' due to the sheer impracticality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
Determinism is from my PoV a pretty nihilistic idea of life
had humanity adhered to this way of thinking, we would have never evolved beyond the 'live/breed/die' state
since any effort towards 'more' would be a futile
we wouldn't have started farming, taming animals, create machinery
(and why would we, since everything would happen by itself anyway)
That is not the Determinism ZGoten speaks of. He was more talking about "Causality" which in itself is a form/part of Determinism.

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2013-01-04 at 20:19.
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote