View Single Post
Old 2010-12-12, 22:47   Link #235
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Gundam "fandom" is an illusion, unfortunately. There are very few fans who truly enjoy the franchise as a whole, rather than just the Gundam shows they grew up with or styles of show that they like. That's been true in the community since forever (at least in the 10+ years I've been around it), and true in ANY fan community of a large media franchise like Gundam. So I don't see a reason for complaining about it now.

Obviously people are going like the stuff they like, and there are going to be those who disrespect those who do not agree with them. Its human nature.
Just trying to illustrate my point. I like to draw comparisons, cite examples and continue topics when new factoids come to light instead of just linking vaguely related concepts in my head and then stating a reason and result without making an effort to connect it all to a point for the people that bother to read it. If that comes across as complaining and the sort of thing you pointed out is level-headed and just ought to be accepted cause its been that way for x number of years then I'm sorry but you need to get your discussion priorities straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
This isn't something unique to Gundam the hardcore fans from the different star trek series I have been having these same sort of fights for decades heck the same thing is going right now on stargate boards SG-1 and Atlantis fans are have been really ripping into Destiny. My point is this is the way sci-fi fans are and if getting up on your little soap box and bitching about it makes you feel better about the situation and superior to other gundam fans Kaioshin Sama have fun but don't kid yourself nothing is going to change.
Wow you people really do see it that way don't you. So let me see if I've got your stance straight here, fandom ripping into their favorite franchises for possibly dubious reasons, that's not bitching or complaining in any way and there's no soapbox in sight, that's just the way it is. Me challenging the current status quo of fan behaviour by questioning the necessity, logic and validity of some of the posts in this thread and trying to support it with evidence from the franchise and the very posts being made, now apparently that's bitching, complaining and getting on a soapbox. I would find this logic amusing if it wasn't frankly a little scary since people seem to be saying that challenging what you see and trying to ask questions such as why it is the way that it is and asking what benefits there are to the status quo is undesirable somehow.

Feel free to stick to that, believe it or not I'm not trying to change anything, but the more people continue to just state things are the way are because instead of meeting my points head-on and trying to come up with an actual point or argument that casts them in a different light the more they are just going to keep proving them. In that regard I am feeling pretty superior to other posters in the thread right now because I've taken the time to take some pride in what I'm trying to illustrate by putting some weight behind it and so far it looks to be paying off.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-12-12 at 23:42.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote