Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-24, 19:54   Link #262
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I presume s/he is talking about me. I don't see what FUD I'm spreading. SmartScreen is turned on by default and will send information to Microsoft about everything you install along with your IP address. Whether you think that is a good idea or not is up to you. I'd imagine that most people who buy a new computer with Windows 8 on it will have no idea that this is happening nor will they know how to turn it off.

If it is offered at setup, is the user completely informed about the potential privacy issues involved, or just told that this is something that will help protect his or her computer against malware?

Look, I don't really care what operating system people use as long as they are fully informed about the options and tradeoffs involved. In my experience Microsoft has been less than forthright about potential privacy issues and just keeps adding more and more features that result in your computer checking in with Redmond. Personally I find that objectionable. You may not care. It's your call.

You're welcome to suggest to the moderators that I be banned from AnimeSuki. I doubt you'll get very far with that, but you can give it a try. Or you can give me negative rep. Whatever floats your boat.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote