View Single Post
Old 2012-10-20, 16:19   Link #55
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
So damn confused. I enjoy the artwork just fine - a lot more than the artwork for the second season, honestly - but it's being universally panned by even non-critical people like relentless. Weird expressions like the one Chaos posted were sprinkled throughout the episode, but otherwise I thought the artwork was perfectly fine and find it strange that I'm seemingly the only person who thinks so. As I said before, pretty confused.
Well, I did not pan the episode, but those off-model shots were... rather off-model. It wouldn't be the first time that a show has an episode that struggled to stay on-model, and I imagine it'll be cleaned up for the Blu-Rays/DVDs, though. As for the art style in general... it's purely personal taste. I like some of the characters in the new style, but am less fond of others. Hina in particular, though, was a major star in the second season, so I'm a bit partial for that look for her. But again, this is just a preference. The off-model thing seems like a production problem that'll be corrected, but the character design style is a preference.

Part of the issue is that we've had three different seasons that all take a very different approach with the franchise, so it's hard not to compare them. It feels a bit like the franchise is constantly rebooting itself, and if you liked a previous season you may prefer it to continue. But we obviously aren't in control, so we take what we get.

(Edit: In other random but related news, the Blu-Ray solicitations reveal the show will have 12 episodes.)