View Single Post
Old 2009-12-12, 07:26   Link #1702
Amegashita
Still bad at Japanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post
And I love it. Medaka is great because it only focuses on Medaka and Zen. You get glimpses of Akune and that swimming girl, but the focus is still on the main characters. Villains that take another 10 chapters to explain their background is a complete waste of time. Everytime they explain a long elaborate background story it takes another 5 weeks. It's just filler.

I like the pace of this. It's no nonsense and it just keeps moving. Yes we know Medaka is going to win, and probably destroy the other guy, but at least we won't wait 8 weeks to see it happen.
That's a very... flawed outlook on manga's. I mean don't you want to know why a villain is a villain? Like in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni when I discovered who the villain was, I was gung-ho about finding out why she did what she did. Same for Umineko, not only that but it's also more realistic that way. Every body has a back story and their experience's come to form the person they are today.

Like, for example, a murder trial. If we were to ignore what a person had to say <with a grain of salt of course> we would easily convict them, whether their innocent or not. Without trying to find out why they did what they did, we wouldn't know whether it was self defense, or simple morale collapse.

But... I guess for manga's you're allowed to think that way...
Amegashita is offline   Reply With Quote