View Single Post
Old 2013-01-09, 19:03   Link #289
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And what's wrong with that? What's wrong with playing around with tropes and popular character types, and picking at the weaknesses or contradictions of them? Do we really want popular tropes to be played straight all the time, forever more? I can certainly appreciate K-On now and then too, but I wouldn't want all anime girls to be like the K-On girls.
That is quite the straw man that you set-up there. If anything, I was pointing out in my post (in all the parts that you omitted from your quotes) that this too is actually a trope that has been done many times before too. But still, in my view, there is plenty of variety in terms of the characters in anime, and there is no risk whatsoever that "all anime girls [will] be like the K-On girls". Nobody has ever claimed to want "popular tropes to be played straight all the time, forever more", as far as I can tell. Characters having a facade is not, itself, character depth; it's just a bit of misdirection, particularly when it's exposed in the first episode. I think it's too soon to decide what the "commentary" is.