View Single Post
Old 2012-10-25, 09:25   Link #202
Ridwan

I seriously doubt invading Britain was possible. Pass Seven Years War (perhaps from earlier point), British navy has become strong enough to render any unilateral attempt on their homeland impossible.

What would've been possible perhaps would be accomodating continental Europe to alienate Britain. I like the Pressburg idea Sumeragi suggested. It looks like the best way to get a lasting French predominance in continental Europe. Talleyrand aspired for a Franco-Austrian alliance, which would be enough a juggernaut to check upon everyone, especially Prussia. Perhaps Germany won't unite with that PoD....

My focus here though isn't so much about making France Master of Europe as much as saving Indonesia from Cultuurstelsel and Algeria from utter societal dismantling and being turned into a settler colony. British rule would've been less bad for Indonesia if only because they were much more resourceful then the Dutch, and thus permitting the relative benevolence typically associate to their rule compared to other colonial masters, often distracting people from the fundamentally exploitative nature of colonialism as the norm. Nevertheless, it will still be better then Dutch rule. Also, no less interesting will be how British East Indies will affect Western activities in East Asia down the line...

As for Algeria, aside from my personal soft-spot for the country and for Magrheb in general, it will also change the dynamics of the meds throughout 19th century. Potentially it will also change significantly how colonial expansion in Africa will proceed, though Egypt will remain a bigger factor in this regard.