View Single Post
Old 2012-09-16, 19:08   Link #59
Maerskian

And now, for my "weekly" update

Ongoing
-----------

Astro fighter sunred
Found this one by pure casualty.... and turned out to be quite entertaining/watchable. Love deep-parody ( must enfatize deep here )/comedies .... and while i mostly dislike bioman/power-rangers and the like, this is the second time in a row ( the first one being mitsudomoe 2nd season 1st chapter ) i find a parody about this type of series funny. 16 episodes already... and there's even a 2nd season ... yay !!!

DT Eightron
Another recent find on older-looking anime. Seen 3 episodes already ... and doesn't look exactly great.... nothing stands out visually, but the genre is promising itself, so need to find some strength to watch some more episodes and see if this can develop the right way.... although is just hope for the time being

Infinite Ryvius
It's been years since i promised myself i'd start this one.... so finally did it .
Just watched 2 episodes ... and as DT Eightron, there's nothing visually great .... but the sci-fi genre always has potential, plus this title always had great reviews.... even if it doesn't impress from the start, doesn't look as poor as DT Eightron so let's see how it goes

OZMA
Yet another recent find ....
Felt inmediately attracted by a couple of Leiji Matsumoto/Harlock saga-looking characters . Just watched one episode ... and i'm having a hard time to bring myself to not drop it.... considering is just 6 episodes long.... need to think about it.

Hakugei - Legend of the Moby Dick

And another recent find . To be honest, the fact that i'm facing so many problems finding standalone player-friendly versions makes it easier to go after older series like this one .... or just check animes subbed by fansubs that doesn't use the newer codecs on his releases.

3 episodes for the time being. The series had a very promising start... but then changed to the point of view of a 14 year old boy and now has a more "classical-anime" pace . Seems like it could develop into something else so will keep going for a while

Tasogare Otome X Amnesia

Finally ! Thanks Horrible-Subs for not using the newest codecs !! Tried several versions until i finally gave this one a chance.

3 Episodes already . Looks like a "relatively" conventiional ( it's hard to use this two word referring to japanese anime at times... ) mix of school-life/ghost-story anime flavored with some ecchi/love triangle-harem stereotypes plus some typical comedy-gags from those genres.

Nothing great plot-wise nor the comedy-gags either..... but it's clear they had a decent budget to do this series since the animation is quite smooth, and the art direction shines often, making it more enjoyable than your average anime... although his aim is just being a "fast-food-watch" ...

Dloading
----------------

Mouryou no Hako
Tsuritama
Real Drive
Kurenai

Stalled
----------

Kemono no souja
Stuck at episode 12 . Designs, animation, etc... are too weak for this day & age; the pace is too "Classic" and naive.... think i'll resume this late but can't do it right now
Kuragehime Stuck after episode 5 . It wasn't great anime from the start, but was watchable.... but now they introduced the romantic twist, i can find reasons to go on.... stalled for now

Dropped
---------------

Mokke
Nothing to mention here.... too naive, poor animation, way too classic designs ...
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Then again .... very poor animation and the worst characteristics of classical animes: naive characters & action, poor designs, nothing that adds for those who already watched several classical series, etc...
Denpa Teki na Kanojo
Watched the first OVA ... and was already too much .... nothing to mention here...

And this is the updated list of recommendations i made out of this thread:

Beelzebub
Level E
WORKING!!
Black Butler
Broken Blade
Hourou Musuko
Fate/Zero
Working!
anamaru Youchien
Kodomo no Jikan
Ghost Hunt
Moshidora
Dantalian no Shoka
Un-Go
Denpa Onna
Hourou Musuko
Dantalian no Shoka
Un-Go
Shion no Ou
Mirai Nikki
soul eater
Sword art online
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
Showa Monogatari

Having trouble finding standalone player-friendly versions for these ones:

Joshiraku
Kill Me Baby
Binbougami ga
Bunny Drop
Mawaru Penguin Drum

Also:

- still need to give a second try to Karasu Tengu Kabuto ; grew up with this series, but when i tried it some years ago it was .... too rough & plain... but still plan to give it a second chance.

- HACK series ; think i've been posponing this one for over a decade now ... maybe it's time to check it as well
Maerskian is offline   Reply With Quote