View Single Post
Old 2008-04-30, 22:47   Link #188
Esper 28
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Bullet View Post
uh not to flame or you esper.. but i thik shes a very important character . i mean if lelouch didn't meet her and she hadn't given lelouch his geass.. i doubt this series would even exist =x
No, no, you're absolutely correct! She's crucial to the plot in that sense. Absolutely, I never meant to detract from her contributions behind the scenes. She is, after all, what sparks the series. But like I said earlier, that's what her character does. It creates a spark and then coolly sits off on the sidelines. You're absolutely right that she's critical to the story and that without her, you wouldn't have a show.

But what I'm referring to is her prevalence and like, importance in a different way. Uhm...what would be a good example? I'll try an anime reference first, even though I'm not exactly on top of what's popular, but like in Gundam 00. I would probably put C.C. on par with the likes of Sumeragi, the Captain of the Ptolemy. She's key to the story because, really, without her, there'd be no Celestial Being. From literature, I'll turn to The Iliad for a reference since it was turned into a major movie. Agamemnon is a key character to the story, but Achilles is the star, the main character. Agamemnon is a really good example, actually, because his role is determined entirely on how you look at him. You could easily make an argument that he's a main character because he is so important, but at the same time, The Iliad is really a story about Achilles and, overall, the Trojan War. Agamemnon is the spark that started the war, but he isn't really the one who fights it. Out of the many books that compromise The Iliad, several of them don't have Agamemnon in them, but most of them have Achilles in some way. Replace Achilles with Lelouch and Agamemnon with C.C. and it's kind of the same thing. I'm sure someone could easily come in here and blow my logic out of the water and I totally welcome it.

So, I hope I explained myself better. I didn't mean that C.C. crucial to the show, it's just that she's never really thrust into the forefront like the other characters are. I think it's safe to say that Kallen is more of a main character than C.C. But again, it's really all in how you look at the character because she's teetering on the edge of main character and supporting cast. However, I will say again that I think in this season, she's going to be playing a much more important and obvious role.

And disagreeing with me is certainly not flaming! And my gods, did I really just compare Code Geass to The Iliad?
Esper 28 is offline   Reply With Quote