View Single Post
Old 2012-12-05, 16:31   Link #123
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
"Who cares about what other people think, I'll do what I want..." pretty much sums up selfish.

(This isn't referring to Mashiro)
Is the human race of some hive mind and I'm not aware of?

Let's take some examples of what people think...
  • charity is this grant scheme to get your money
  • politics are something you should not get involved in
  • the government/country is something one needs to work against
  • and of course who can forget <all the slurs and racial discrimination>

All of which if ignored might at least achieve something; and when applied achieve nothing.

There is no such thing as a representation of a majority (this sock puppet everyone waves in their arguments), it's all just a collective thought, a collective idea. Have enough people make enough random noise and you can hear mumbling. It can be positive, as well as negative, and most often it's just very stupid, much like a generalization. Idol worship is among the top on the "none of us, is as stupid as all of us" category.

In the case of the series, should Mashiro care for all these strangers who she likely never met and which from the perspective of the series have only contacted her though Rita? (going by Rita's words) I say Nay. She has plenty of people around her already that need her, people that she cares about, people that care about her. Like everyone she has the right to live, to live her own damn life, not be someone's foot stool just because some invisible majority of crybabies has aspiration of being part of some elitist circle of fools.

Of all things it has to be mass produced masterpiece art on demand; do you think people that would want something as contrived and convenient as that even think of Mashiro as anything more then another tool? How convenient isn't it, the all-needy majority doesn't have to abide by this little one-sided rule of slave-by-popular-opinion. What might happen if they had to consider Mashiro's feelings too... but they can't speak, because the entire "majority" Mashiro is suppose to defend is nothing but hot air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If you have the chance to really make a mark of the world you live in, but you end up doing something that's not really special and a lot of other people can do, then I think as a person that is incredibly disappointing.
People have no right to question others for their choices, if it never was a choice one had to make as well.

"Make a mark on history [and betray everyone close to you in the process.]"

You would be fulfilling what? other people's "selfish" desired? How is that so much better...

Last edited by felix; 2012-12-05 at 16:46.