View Single Post
Old 2004-02-04, 05:07   Link #1
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Predictions!

Ala "The Maclaughlin Group"....

Post your predictions here!

My prediction:

In five years, at least one major Japanese animation studio will have been accquired by an american company, e.g. Pixar (now no longer tied to the Disney leash) might buy out Gonzo...

Because of this and an emerging market for anime in america, more and more anime will be produced with an international (read: american) audience in mind. This "Westernization" of anime will be offset, however, by a suitable increase in smaller, independent animation studios that will be made possible by the complete digitization of the production process.

More and more people will download fansubbed anime, however the growth will be tied directly to the growth of number of households with high-speed internet connections, and thus will represent only a fictitious growth in the overall popularity of fansubbing, and will eventually level off at around 100,000 downloads for the most popular shows.

The time from an anime's licensing to DVD will not decrease, nor will the speed at which shows are licenced (as both are primarily market effects), however pre-licensing will become more and more prevelant as more and more shows are co-produced by american companies.

And that's all my predictions so far... Discuss!

And my answer to the first three replies are:
1."Wrong!"
2."Wrong!"
3."Wrong!"
The answer was "California will be contestable by Bush in 2004, because of the recall election."

Bye Bye!
Sam Pinansky