View Single Post
Old 2010-03-12, 14:07   Link #2137
Starburst
Horo♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Well, mine came in non leaning (thank god) so I'm not sure about the failure percentage, but yeah, I didn't even expect that there'd be leaning problems. Although I doubt Corti will be able to stand upright with that pose they gave her and no extra posture stability tool.
Mine came perfect as well. However after displaying her for a short time she started leaning that bad. Short time being under a week but more than a few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
What fict_ticious said,
The only way to fix this is using a metal post, otherwise it will surely lean again in a few days

I tought OrchidSeed is a more reliable manufacturer
I may try this idea out, but not today, maybe later when I'm feeling more crafty than I am now.

I too thought Orchid Seed would be reliable, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased a figure posed in such a way. It's definitely a leaner pose, but with a proper base and leg it shouldn't have been a problem. Good Smile Company's Corticarte is fine, I have her as well and have had her for a year on display in the same exact conditions as Orchids. In fact they were side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
What I mean by scalding is just a small stream of straight hot water. Typical water heater setting is 125 F, boiling is 212 F. I've done it several times to that Mahoro figure, trying to get her to stand straight, and no paint has come off.

Hair dryer? I would think dry heat would be worse than wet heat. But then, I'm no physicist. If paint gets damaged from a little water, that's pretty crappy paint. I've washed one of my figures with plain, room temperature water before (some accumulated dust became stuck on it). Nothing happened.

That totally sucks if you just got that figure. Would that be caused by poor PVC mixture?
I assumed you just meant hot water from the tap. But AmiAmi I suppose was being on the cautious side, as minerals in water differ everywhere and could perhaps damage a figure as well.

The dry heat seemed like a better option, as it's not going to run paint off the figure like water might, nor leave other substances there that could be in your water. Mine for example has a lot of lime and iron in it.

I think what caused this is likely the use of PVC at all on Corti's leg. PVC is a very soft plastic, often used on cords for lights etc... Those IKEA lights I have for my cabinets for example have PVC wire coating. Orchid Seed should have used a different type of plastic such as ABS, which I believe is on most figures these days with poses like this. It's more brittle, but less prone to lean without high temperatures.

It's my opinion that Orchid Seed cheaped out on their process. But I have only 2 points of data so far, my account, as well as kernel1024's on MFC. It's impossible to judge an entire run on only 2 points of data, that's not a trend, it's just a line. So it could be the rest are fine and I just got unlucky.