Thread: Xvid or Veoh?
View Single Post
Old 2007-11-30, 09:11   Link #5
Hanxue
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
you claim I don't know much about streaming video and yet your counter argument is that its too hard to port to PSP a video game system with a miniature screen that is smaller than watching it on a streaming video and has equally bad resolution?
I guess this reply kinda proves my point
Just to give you a hint, I was referring to how easy it is to transcode a fansub release (as opposed to a stream, which you would have to rip first), not the video quality (whatever that would have to do with it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
Yes, the internet is getting congested and we need to do our part to reduce the stress. but that is a whole nother issue. btw, streaming video in FLASH player uses far far less kb than having everyone download with bittorent.
You really don't get it do you? Once you're done with the initial seeding of a BT upload, you can stop it and let the leechers handle the uploading themselves. Hence you only really need to upload a couple hundred MB at worst, and you can do it at 50kb/s from your home DSL connection if you want to because once there's one full copy circulating in the swarm everyone will be able to download it with the combined upload bandwidth of the entire swarm.
With streaming, you need to upload ONE FULL COPY PER PERSON WHO WATCHES THE STREAM. Even if each copy "uses less kb" (lol) it'll still be a huge burden for the uploader. And not only that, there needs to be total bandwidth enough to serve all simultaneous watchers. Even if you're using a relatively low-bandwidth stream at, say, an average bitrate of 400kbit/s (would look pretty shitty with most shows even with h264, not to mention worse codecs), having just 1000 people watching at the same time (very possible at release-time even with modestly popular shows) would require 400 (four hundred) MEGABIT per second to make it possible for everyone to watch at the same time. Do you have any idea what kind of money gigabit-sized links cost? Not to mention the bandwidth usage; we're talking about terabytes and terabytes of transfer. It's so far out of the reach of most fansub groups it's not even worth THINKING about.
Hanxue is offline   Reply With Quote