View Single Post
Old 2009-03-18, 12:45   Link #330
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
maybe the anime is nothing more than to make the series more popular. it worked for Haruhi.
Um, to a large extent - that is the purpose of ALL anime tv broadcast: to boost sales of the source material and related merchandise (including manga, light novels, figures, and DVDs).

Haruhi was a top sales item in light novels on its own long before the anime. The anime exploded the way it did because the first episode was so completely unexpected in design and it had that little dance at the end. Couple that with its disorienting jumps around in time during broadcast, the entertaining hodgepodge of science fiction and it took off.

Toradora is also doing respectably well in light novel sales prior to the anime -- the oddity here is that it is a story that doesn't fit easily into one publishing genre and has crossover appeal. The anime only had some issues at the start because many viewers (mostly Western as I don't believe I've seen this error on Japanese channels) mistakenly assumed it was "just another loli-tsundere escapade". In Japan, it is doing reasonably well. It will be interesting to see if it ends up being adapted to live-action.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-03-18 at 13:58.