View Single Post
Old 2011-08-21, 11:57   Link #2299
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Yami's reformation happened practically overnight. Haruna's been in love with Rito since the beginning, she could learn to exert some self-control by now.

And what bothers me is she continues to do it.

It would help if she was at least apologetic about it. Rito doesn't get into these situations on purposes, yet he apologizes anyway. Haruna could afford to offer the same consideration.
I totally understand your complaints about her lack of growth and the fact it stunts Rito's development, but I think you're exaggerating her tendency to violence. She acts exactly the same way as Yami (now reformed), Nana, and Yui do. Yes, remember Yui hit Rito as recently as the first chapter of Darkness, and likely did it again in 10.5. In fact, I haven't counted, but I'm pretty sure Yui has smacked him more often overall. At least that's the impression I'm getting during my second read. At any rate, it's definitely not only Haruna's gimmick.

Yami only started changing in Darkness, after Hasemi and Yabuki decided it might be time to actually move the plot forward (there's been more chara development in Darkness than in the last 8 volumes of the original manga). Please also keep in mind that Haruna had already started getting sidelined near the end of the first series, they kind of gave up doing anything with her character after the whole Yabuki's wife affair. I don't know what they intend to do with her in Darkness, but like you, I do hope she'll stop holding Rito back.