View Single Post
Old 2012-06-11, 15:58   Link #1742
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
AuraTwilight told me elsewhere that the four cousins (throwing Maria in there) could arguably be arranged to represent the four forms of classical Greek love, but I don't know enough about that to say.
I'll clarify here.

Jessica is Philia, the Love of Friendship. Her relationship with Kanon is really cute, but she expresses her desire for a boyfriend as basically a "boy FRIEND" with super romantic benefits. She wants to play with him, hang out with him, and built a relationship on things they have in common, and ultimately have an easy, laid-back relationship.

George is Eros, the Love of Flesh. This is what most people think of when they think of love. He wants to get down with her and have a bunch of young'ns. Given his lack of regard for Shannon's true self, he seems to lack a lot of the components of the other four loves, making it basically a dolled up and prettified Lust.

Battler is Storge, the Love of Family. He comes to respect Beatrice intimately and intellectually, and takes the time to solve her mysteries and puzzles as a human being, and expects her to do the same. He ultimately 'marries' her and they come to consider each other parts of the same whole, like a family unit. Battler expects nothing of Beatrice except what he expects to give her back.

And Maria is Agape, the Unconditional Love. Called the Love of Martyrs, Agape is the Love Of No Expectations. The love that makes people throw themselves into fires to save a stranger. Socrates and Plato both called it the most beautiful of loves. Maria loves Rosa, and just about everyone else, unconditionally and expects nothing from them, and will excuse everything that happens at her expense.

Given that none of the four have a healthy relationship with the people they're paired with, Ryukishi seems to have made the unintentional point that focusing on only one of the Loves isn't healthy, or that it's crucial to identify what love you're actually feeling instead of just going "omg i wuv u's"