Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-13, 07:37   Link #26459
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
And dressage does have ratings?

There are events that could be cut from the summer Olympics, but I don't think wrestling is the top of that list (instead, perhaps the wrestling body should do a better job of advertising itself). Other sports I'd get rid of first:
Water Polo, all Equestrian sports, Basketball, Field Hockey, Soccer (Olympic Soccer can't beat the World Cup), Modern pentathlon, Shooting (though I respect the sport, it's not athletic even compared to archery). Generally, I don't think the "Field team" sports (like Soccer, Basketball etc.) really fit into the Olympics.
I don't see why Olympic sports aren't put into clusters like athletics. You can have the 8 major clusters: aquatics, athletics, cycling, gymnastics, martial arts, racquet sports, rowing and team sports. From there you can simply remove some of the more silly elements.

I feel equestrian, sailing and shooting (as opposed to archery) have no place at the Olympics as they are not self propelled, same argument as motorization used to disqualify auto-racing by the IOC.

Soccer is a difficult one as the men's game is a bad joke, but for the development for the women's game it provides a major stage. It's also an important source of revenue for the Olympics.

Golf...just no.