Thread: Beelzebub
View Single Post
Old 2010-04-17, 14:12   Link #884
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

I've said this before but this manga is just a whole lot of rehashing of established shounen plots. Maybe Jump wants to have a delinquent manga for each generation due to their popularity i dunno.

And i hate to make comparisons but going from reading Kyou Kara Ore Wa to reading Beelzebub just feels like a giant dip in quality and humor. Where the former succeeds in showing you characters that will keep you consistently laughing, Beelzebub stays too reliant on cliches to get by and the humor is often hit-and-miss. Not to say that KKOW does not use shounen cliches but the sheer hilarity and absurdity in which it implements them instantly makes it better than Beelzebub.

And I'd just like to call out Kafriel on this, We were arguing about this a few months before and i'd just like to ask. Were the knights really the "box full of comedy" you expected? Were the new characters genuinely interesting and original? To me they just seem like the usual characters who will beg and plead to join up with Oga after he ends up kicking their sorry ass.

I'm truly sorry if i may sound like a condescending douche-bag and i have great respect for you as a poster.

To me it's kind of frustrating to see Beelzebub as popular as it is when it's not doing anything new or different. The humor is a hit and miss at most times and the few times it seems the manga is taking an interesting direction(Oga going into the demon world) it turns right back to the overused and overplayed.

Most people would tell me that i have a problem with the genre more than that of the series in question but i believe there is a lot of quality shounen out there which does not belong to the pile of cliches and mediocrity.

Here's hoping the manga will improve in the future before Jump gives it the axe pre-maturely like it has done so mercilessly to so many manga before. Until then hurray for thrice weekly releases of Kyou Kara Ore Wa!!
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote