View Single Post
Old 2009-12-26, 18:46   Link #221
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki View Post
.... I'm speechless.... as I don't know how a terrible 80s commercial illustrates anything as they were ALL terrible, but here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orn_9v-v0tA
Are you kidding? That ad was AWESOME! Moreover, it seemed to have been made by people who knew what Mospeada was about, unlike to Robotech ads.

Quote:
It's ignorance like this that just never goes away. People just love to ignore its huge influence and popularity/accepting that helped push anime in its current state, and despite the fact that it created the longest on-going anime mag (Protoculture Addicts) that I used to read like a madman. And they tend to forget that all three versions of the show are now and have been available in its "original" states.

But fans like that all they see is a few name changes and some stuff switched and automatically assume its been butchered to death without realizing the stuff that made all the shows so great were still intact, hell Next Generation (MOSEPEDA) wasn't even edited much at all nude scene between Scott Bernard... I'm sorry I mean.. "Stick Bernard" and Marlene... erm.. I mean "Aisha" still aired on TV in all its glory I have it recorded on my VHS tapes still, but it was removed in later boradcasts. But theres so much misconception that the mob mentality takes over and no one wants to figure out whats really "butchered" or why. And ANYONE and I mean ANYONE whom remembers the 80s vividly knows why ROBOTECH had to be created.
Oh believe me, I was there. I watched Robotech on its first run (I even saw "Codename: Robotech" when it aired).

The difference is, A) it wasn't the first anime I ever saw (I had seen Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets, and Star Blazers previously), and B) I already had some Macross merchandise before Robotech started airing. A few trips to L.A.' s Little Tokyo area (and the toy stores therein) made me realize that what we were seeing with Robotech was not at all what was originally intended.

Battle of the Planets was a worse hackjob, no doubt about it. Star Blazers was (I think) a little bit better, since they didn't have weld unrelated stories together to make it. Yes, Robotech left a lot of the violence and drinking in, but at the cost of changing ALL of the backstory, and saddling Macross with two relatively pedestrian series.

And yes, as you say, Macross, Southern Cross, and Mosepada are all available in the US, but what of Macross 7? Zero? Frontier? The reason Macross fans get up in arms about Robotech (whereas Gatchaman fans don't get angry about battle of the Planets) is, I believe for two reasons: First, there is no one out there arguing that Battle of the Planets was anything other than an embarrassment, but there ARE Robotech fans out there claiming that RT is "epic" while Macross is not; and second, Macross (unlike Gatchaman, Mach Go-Go-Go, Yamato (arguably), Golion, or anything else that got brought over) is a vibrant, ongoing franchise, and its one thats undergoing a great resurgence of popularity right now.

So yeah, I understand why it was created the way it was...I just don't understand why anyone STILL cares about it.

Quote:
Its funny earlier this year when I visited Japan I was with some friends and we were looking at blurays and saw the Macross Frontier ones. And I asked my friends if they ever seen the ROBOTECH adpation, and not only have they seen it, they take it Macross as canon, and apparently thats what a lot of fans have done. According to them Protoculture their Midichlorians Since its such a complex concept that takes a lot of away from the show sometimes.
Your experience is VERY different from mine. One of my Japanese friends who likes Macross lived in China for awhile, and was exposed to Robotech there. He hated it. One of my other Japanese friends decided to investigate Robotech, because she wanted to see the "American version" of Macross. She thought it was stupid. I had some chinese friends who really liked Robotech until I showed the Macross Zero, and then they swtiched their loyalties quite quickly.

So yeah, I don't know which one of us had the more average experience, but to imply that Japanese fans love Robotech...I just don't think that's accurate.

Quote:
But ya... Harmony Gold and all involved are douchebags.
I'll give ya that one.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote