Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2008-10-31, 18:29   Link #947
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Good food can be had in America, but it'll likely take you three times as long to do your grocery shopping at first as you flip over and read the ingredients list of everything you reach for, put it back and continue to hunt for a suitable replacement.
It is true that good food can be consumed anywhere in America, but the problem isn't really about what people eat, but the idea of convenience. Good foods tend to take longer to prepare and also the list of ingredients can be tedious, whereas fastfoods can be much cheaper and also very convenient. More over, fastfood does not limit to what to eat at McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, KFC, etc.. It can be ate at home by methods of microwave.

Frozen meals can also be considered a form of fastfood. Purchasing frozen meals saves time and money, yet it is unhealthy to consume as a regular meal. Sodas as drinks are also a time and money saver, yet it is also unhealthy. People who eat too much fastfood, whether it be burgers or frozen meals may end of up with the risk of high cholesterol and obesity. People who drink too much soft drinks may end up with the risk of diabetes and also the increase of food intake due to an enlarged stomach caused by carbonated water within soft drinks.

Although I realizes this, I still drank a few cans of coke a week. Well.. The thing is that to prepare tea would consume a lot of time. First of all, the process of boiling water may take up to 5 minutes and the time for the tea to cool down will take another 2-3 minutes. On the other hand, to drink a can of soda, all you got to do is pop the can and drink. Quick!

As for fastfood, it is considered a popular meal type in America, because it saves time. Going to the supermarket to pick out ingredients may be a painfully long process, especially when ingredients are not available, whereas you can just simply buy a microwave-able meal, pop it into the microwave, set the time, and then have your meal. Simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My wife and I as a rule avoid processed foods (except for cereal; we do eat Cheerios or some froufrou hippy elf twigs and bark). We make a hobby of shopping and avoiding the crap -- one thing we're noticing is that the Big Box grocery stores are exhibiting the following patterns over the last 10 years:
1) Shrinking baking aisle - more and more prefab crap and less components and gear. People have forgotten how to cook and when they want to learn, its hard for them to find the stuff and tools needed.
2) Alien Vegetable&Fruits from strange lands where they do unspeakable things to vegetables -- often unlabeled as to source; not local stock.
3) Reduced choice of particular items - one "brand" and one store-label... or just store-label.
4) Reduction of package sizes and increase of price.
5) Alien meats/fish etc. from faraway places rather than local stock.
This is probably the most healthy way to pick a meal. (^_^)