View Single Post
Old 2012-08-10, 13:12   Link #270
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Naw I was more making half-joking reference to bygone eras of unpleasantness. That sort of thing hasn't happened in a fairly long time actually.

No but given my experience with Kyoani in the past and not finding the jokes they kick out to be very funny at all so much as delivered in a very loud and over the top manner that is supplemented by visual wild takes it seems like a pretty safe bet.

Hmmm yeah just read that. Well that can still be an interesting premise if delivered in good faith and straight up, I'm just skeptical as to Kyoani's willingness to deliver anything other than some form of wish fulfilling fantasy and to play it for laughs without any sort of the sobering drama one might expect to come into play. My yardstick for this type of premise was probably set by Welcome to the NHK and while I don't expect it to have that shows level of black humour and manic/depressive tone I would still hope to see the idea of mental dillusion taken somewhat seriously amidst the gag bits.

That's about it for my expectations, the fact that I'm willing to give Kyoani yet another chance after being burned so many times is kind of as surprising to me as it probably is to some others though.
Remember, for people with older style tastes, there is Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199. (which has been awesome for far at 6 episodes)