Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-09, 09:24   Link #2203
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Someone want to explain to me why ships passing through this area don't carry guns?
Most of the sailors aren't trained in the use of weapons, and so far many international insurers frown on arming the ships they underwrite. I suppose they fear the risk of escalation and potential loss to the insurers. (It could be that the ransoms are a relatively small price to pay to avoid a ship and its cargo heading down to Davy Jones.) I also heard one commentator observe that the widespread use of armed guards could ultimately lead to scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of security personnel. Apparently there's not enough well-trained, sober people in that community to guard a large proportion of ships and their cargoes.

There are voices advocating that some ships begin to carry armed guards, though they would be recruited separately from the ships's crewmen. No one, apparently, thinks arming the crews is a good idea.

One thing that's been repeated about this incident is that the container vessel tried outrunning the pirates and took evasive manuevers. They say these container ships are pretty fast, but I'm having a hard time imagining something as large as that making quick turns to avoid speedboats.