View Single Post
Old 2011-11-15, 04:06   Link #43
rakusukira

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
That's the problem I have with a lot of the UC side stories and the recent Gundam shows in general - the protagonists are nearly always more concern about saving that one person they know and ignore the collateral damage. I think it has a lot to do with that recent authors had taken a liking to the pesudo-moral question of "if I can't save one person how can I save many?", preferring to not make any sacrifices in depicting a Jesus-like-save-everyone type protagonist, I find this question down right stupid and these sort saint-like protagonists gets in the way of supposedly "realistic" Gundam stories, since in the end it inevitably turns the protagonist into having God-like power where they can just disable their enemies without killing anyone, and that's just not right.

People used to laugh at Tomino protagonists yelling/crying that they don't want to kill anyone but shoots down enemies like killing flies, that to me is actually way more realistic, I want to see more of those types of protagonists but sadly I haven't seen any recently.
Banagher was already traumatized by killing Gilboa so I understand his hesitation in killing Loni. He's just a teenager who isn't even a professional soldier, he can't just pull the trigger like that. He can't even justify his being involved in this whole Laplace incident. If i'm not mistaken, 70% of his determination to pilot the Unicorn in episode 1 was to save a girl he just met (and fallen for). Like what he said to Daguza in ep.3 , he doesn't know who his true enemies and allies are so he shouldn't be tasked to use a weapon as powerful and destructive as the Unicorn.

If you ask someone who has NEVER killed anyone to shoot someone they wouldn't shoot even if they are somewhat "bad" .

Spoiler for HP:

don't worry, Banagher just lost confidence in himself.. once he is reunited with Audrey he'll be back to being that hot-blooded, impulsive pilot.
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote