Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-02, 00:46   Link #5293
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/us...er=rss&emc=rss

Isn't fascinating the number of investigations and prosecutions started during the Bush administration that are being dropped by judges over sheer incompetence, poor management, lousy process by the Bush prosecutors. It appears yet more Bush era misdeed prosecutions have been derailed thanks to the Justice Department mishandling during that administration.
I could don my cap of cynicism and suggest that perhaps the Justice Department wasn't all that enthusiastic about prosecuting the Blackwater guys to begin with. Judge Urbina's decision specifically observes that "senior, experienced" prosecutors warned the team that its "course of action threatened the viability of prosecution.”

Look at the criticisms Urbina levelled against the Justice Department's prosecutorial team:

"'The explanations offered by the prosecutors and investigators in an attempt to justify their actions and persuade the court that they did not use the defendants’ compelled testimony were all too often contradictory, unbelievable and lacking in credibility,' Judge Urbina wrote.

"The judge also criticized prosecutors for withholding 'substantial exculpatory evidence' from the grand jury that indicted the defendants, as well as for presenting 'distorted versions' of witnesses’ testimony and improperly telling the grand jury that some incriminating statements had been made by the defendants but were being withheld. "

Either we had a team that was much too eager to secure a conviction, or one that was much too eager to derail its own prosecution from the outset.

At least this incident, as horrible as it was, forced the US to accept Iraqi jurisdiction over US civilian contractors. I wonder what the agreement between NATO and the Kharzai government says about Afghani jurisdiction over the contractors working there.