View Single Post
Old 2011-06-05, 17:00   Link #24
Lessing-love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That works if you believe it's necessary for Ohana to completely wash her hands of her past in order to grow up. Problem is, life isn't that easy and clear most of the time. It's absolutely possible that she could decide she wants to stay at Kissuiso - but also that Kou is the guy she loves and always was. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Because, as you say, this is a coming-of-age story and not a romance I think it's a mortal lock we'll get a resolution of Ohana's life choices in terms of personal growth. I'm nowhere near as confident there will be any clear resolution in terms of the relationships at all.
I never said anything about washing her hands of the past, because the past will always be a part of a person, but it's still clear that Kou and Ohana are becoming more and more distant while she's getting closer to her friends at Kissuiso and becoming a woman. I can see Ohana having those fuzzy feelings for Kou even at a far distance, but I'm not convinced that's love in any grown up, non adolescent sense. Adult relationships require a serious mutual sense of commitment, with very real obligations and responsibilities. And I don't see any realistic opportunity for the show to change that at this point without really derailing the story's focus. Most things just end on their own eventually, and that's just another reality of life.