View Single Post
Old 2012-09-03, 20:04   Link #57
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Yeah, I pointed that out in episode 9 thread when it came up. I've never heard it, or any phrase similar to that used in any of the Russian war and/or army themed movies that I've watched. But ah, I guess it being their version of "gung ho" makes some sense, anyway. Thanks.
IIRC, some Soviet/Russian units used "Urrah" as a warcry/moto call, similar to how the US Army uses "Hooah" or the US Marines use "Oorah".

Regards the episode itself, I really, really like Latrova. It's not just that she's smoking hot, but she's also an awesome pilot, and she knows when to turn off being a hardass and just give Tasha a hug. She could really give Yui and Yuuya major pointers. Balancing being the tough badass who keeps Zhar in line, with also being the Team Mom & Dad combined, with Tasha being the older sister to Zhar.

I think it's quite clear that Latrova has managed to gain a strong balance of fear, love and respect from her pilots, which speaks to her abilities. (Regards Machiavelli's famous quote, the full text is that being feared is more reliable than being loved, because the love of the populace is fickle, and that above all you must not be hated, and the best is to be respected.)

Also, she's very self aware - there aren't many characters I've seen who can call someone out, and then calmly accept other people calling themselves out. She can't be any older than her mid-30s, but she's got that calm poise.

As for Yuuya's development, I'm quite pleased that he's begun to put aside his ego and that whole Top Gun American Fighter Jock for the sake of the mission. Becoming quite humble in this ep (especially for an American fighter jock) was a wonderful thing to see, especially with his team arranging themselves on the fly to get the best possible outcome.

Contrasting with episodes 3-5, I am very pleased with how Yui and Yuuya have grown up. I do hope we get to see her taking to the field in the next ep...

And somehow, Ibrahim gives me the impression that he would really like to conduct Wall To Wall Counseling with Yuuya, but not in public.

Edit: Also, best scene of the episode was Latrova being a mom to Tasha.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-09-03 at 20:49.