View Single Post
Old 2009-09-13, 23:04   Link #817
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
IMHO author is telling us by Unzen that he made Medaka godlike because he wanted to, not because he went crazy for Mary Sue character. As for supernatural abilities of some (13) students - most of shounen manga has something supernatural. In this manga supernatural people are just grotesque.
True, they definitely have some massive issues. The problem is that everyone just accepts it as normal. I guess it's supposed to be taken as funny, though.

The chapter definitely was better than the previous ones. The only things that really bother me are the complete lack of explanation. He just throws out 13 as if he expects us to know what it is. Are they gods? Lab experiments? Mutants? Or just Super Geniuses? Just like with Medaka's issues, we're left trying to guess too much and while a little mystery is good, leaving the reader completely in the dark is a sign of poor story telling. I'm also afraid of the 13 coming in and taking over the story while the rest of the normals (I consider Akune and Co. Normal Geniuses, while Zen is the Normal Normal) are overshadowed. If that happens, it'll make me wonder what the point of those useless 20 chapters of gathering the council were for.

I also found Zen calling himself a dog again to be irksome. I know he's supposed to be some vicious pit bull who defends Medaka, but it really makes him sound like a loser who just follows her around doing her bidding. Maybe he's just trying to make himself feel needed when in fact, he's becoming less and less useful. Either way, I miss the old Zen from the one shot when he was the main character and not the weakest side character on the team.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote