View Single Post
Old 2011-05-29, 16:28   Link #36
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Good points, and I agree.

Even if I hadn't watched True Tears, I'd feel much the same way. It's just through having seen True Tears, I can see where Okada is playing out a very similar romance conflict all over again, albeit with the twist that it's now the childhood friend who is cast into "moral support" but likely without any lasting romantic benefits accompanying that.

Like yourself, I doubt Ko will bounce back easily from this.
I'm actually seeing a comparison to Super Dimensional Fortress Macross of all things!

Ohana/Hikaru Ichijo: A young, inexperienced person starting a job that brings about a new chapter in their lives.

Tohru/Misa Hayase: A seemingly gruff and callous coworker for Ohana/Hikaru, whom they dislike initially, but turns out to have a much softer side. Interact with the main character meaningfully on a regular basis under working conditions, growing closer.

Ko/Lynn Minmei: The childish romance interest of the Main character, from before they took on their new maturing career, which has substantially limited meaningful contact with each other. They slowly start drifting apart despite strong initial connection.

I guess this is the most profound influence I've had in terms of how I view the potential dynamic going on here. And while Macross didn't have a Minchi crushing over the work place love interst could very well alter the dynamic on that end, I'm not really seeing how it does much good on the initial innocent love interest.

IMHO? We're either getting OhanaXTohru and KoXGlasses girl, or MinchiXTohru and KoXGlasses girl, with Ohana with a demure smile across her lips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The whole Ko subplot just feels too thrown in there. Not only that, but it seems its trolling the audience. I never like trolling.
But I love trolling

Though more seriously. This seemed pretty deliberately inserted to me as a means for the writer to signify that there are cracks to this long range relationship OhanaXKo have with each other.