View Single Post
Old 2007-06-06, 12:07   Link #211
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@Crisu: aye, same problem. I'll read the line while hearing the dialog and instead of laughing, my response is closer to "what the---?"

"General audience" .... really doesn't include JoeSixPack for this stuff. The type of audience drawn to this material is going to have an interest in japanese culture. They're either going to know some of the less translatable terms or be interested in learning them.

Hell, even when I show this stuff to my mother (I'm 49, do the math) - she always asks about terms because she's interested in knowing.

I don't know.. the kinds of liberties taken for fighting shows or shows with little direct japanese culture references might work... but it really diminishes the material otherwise imo.
I remember a particular Pokemon episode back in the early 90s that was just confusing and wrecked because it involved Shinto, a festival, a ghost, and local customs that the dub team was just unable to "Americanize" in their usual fashion. It was easy to tell something was amiss even if one was totally clueless about Japan.

Just keep in mind one is always getting information loss (filtering bias) when watching *any* sub/dub .... but also that you may be getting information that wasn't originally there.