View Single Post
Old 2012-07-25, 22:28   Link #561
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
If you're gonna go that far out to create those situations, then the only thing anyone should ever do in SAO is to sit in an inn in the town of beginning forever. SAO is an action/adventure story, not a spy novel.

I understand the point you're making, but to me it's akin to someone deciding they're not gonna drive a car anymore after they were involved in a car accident, or afraid to go outside because they might get struck by lightning :/
But being scared of that is the entire point of Kirito's character. He blames himself for what happened to Sachi and refuses to join a guild or even party with people out of fear of letting them die, until much much later when he gets some character development. It's not rational, but it's not supposed to be. He's traumatized. He can grow out of it, and he does, but having this happen immediately after RNR seems like a very strange choice, narratively.

Compare it to the PTSD he shows in GGO. If Sachi's death was supposed to mean anything to the story, and I certainly hope it was supposed to, then Kirito shouldn't be so calm about all this. This a personal problem, an emotional problem.

Last edited by Clarste; 2012-07-25 at 23:49.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote