View Single Post
Old 2014-05-31, 05:56   Link #120
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
I'm not sure about the idea of a completely novel dino, though... It sounds impressive on paper, but I think the audience might be more comfortable with names and shapes they might recognize like the t-rex (which was expressly made into the star of the first movie, though the raptors almost stole the show at the end) and the raptors.

Besides, it's my impression that fans of the franchise did not like the spinosaurus dethroning the t-rex (the star of the show) in JP3, so...introducing an even more dangerous alpha predator, possibly bigger and more powerful than Spiney? That's a gamble right there.
The thing is, how ‘accurate’ the dinosaur itself is not really a problem. People seem to forget how ‘out there’ the Dilophosaur in the first movie is (neck frill & spitting venom), the Pteranodon with teeth in the 3rd movie (that one is kinda funny since having teeth really defeats the purpose of its "nodon" name), etc.

People dislike Spinosaur in the 3rd movie not because it’s bigger & badder or ‘novel’, but because (like you said) it single-handedly ‘dethroned’ the T-Rex that they love. Also, if the rumors are true, even though the new super-dino will be the main threat in JW, the T-Rex will still have a big role to play (beside the de-facto star of JP movies, the Raptors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yeah... At some point it stops being a dinosaur park and becomes a freakshow park. Separating dinosaurs from reality is what happens in films, but to do it intentionally, and justifying it, maybe a bridge too far.
Jurassic Park being a 'freakshow park' I think is the theme in the original novel though. Many of them may look like Dinosaur outside but they are still freak creatures made by Ingen (Lysine deficient, changing sex, camo-Carnotaurs, etc).