View Single Post
Old 2009-07-30, 18:18   Link #182
Lightly_Toasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Also, Amati is exceptional even by the standards of his time. When he was his age, Lawrence was barely starting out as an independent merchant. Amati's well established and very, very good at making money. So he combines the emotional instabilities of youth with the financial power of an older merchant like Lawrence or more.
The other point that I am trying to make here is that though Amati may have much talent in the field of merchanting, he lacks experience needed to truly figure out people, and see through deceit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
OTOH, as Horo reminded in ep1, Lawrence did put his very life on the line for her. Is he so different?
Because Lawrence and Horo had actually had a relationship as friends before, and Lawrence understood much of what Horo has gone through it makes sense logicaly for Lawrence to, not only is she a good friend, but without her, Lawrence's Journey would get much more lonesome. . It's like I would risk my life for a very good friend myself. Amati on the other hand places much of his economic stability on a wager for a girl whom he hardly knows, or understands. The only thing he thinks he understands about her is a complete fallacy, as he has no idea of what she truly is. I believe(correct me if i'm wrong) he really has only known Horo for less than 2 days when he wagers his financial well being on her. Vs Lawrence risking his life for someone whom he has a close emotional bond.

So Finally, so we may get back on track to our original point, though Horo may not FULLY understand what exactly the youth of that day is like, she understands well enough that Amati is a knight, and very idealistic lad whose preconceptions of how a man should treat a women will likely lead to foolish decisions. Because a knight is typically able to protect and serve a weak women, who may not know any better. We do know however, that Horo is a wise and intelligent being, and though she may not understand fully why Amati is spoiling her, she understands enough that herself and Lawrence can use it to their advantage, and make profit from this inexperienced youngster.