View Single Post
Old 2009-11-03, 19:19   Link #74
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
You have to ask yourself this: Why would Oda go out of his way by making a volume that predates the current story by 20 years and contains Roger vs. Shiki, only to not make it canon? Anything that deals with Roger's era is very significant, and I don't think that Oda would elaborate on these important events if they meant nothing to the overall story.
This little manga chapter/volume is nice and all, but it is a little weird. Specifically, if it is true canon, then it is badly presented canon. What is the point of randomly inserting/providing information concerning characters that have no bearing on the current storyline...? This isn't like the Skypiea flashback which, while a little superfluous, still had bearing on the story being told. No, this is information that, if it is true, should be presented legitimately in the actual manga, but because it does not fit with the current storyline, it exists in kind of a limbo of relevancy, acting as a strange prologue that will be published first for the movie.

Personally, I have great trepidation over the fact that the first time I am potentially going to see Roger in action (something I have been waiting some 8 or so years to see), will be when he is fighting a character that didn't even exist (in the manga) until 25 or so chapters ago...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote