View Single Post
Old 2009-12-21, 03:54   Link #36
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Well, I'll minus 1 point for changing japanese exclusive terms into "english" e.g moe to hawt - honestly I died a little when I read it.

Minus 1 point for explaining the jokes. Honestly translators nowadays need to give the readers more credit, we are not stupid, the fact that we like Bake is because we understand the jokes.

Minus 2 point for overall errors in places - BUT add 1 point for translating stuff other translator missed e.g the full house reference that was on this site but not on Baka-tsuki

Add 1 point for speed, getting chapter 5 done before baka-tsuki.

All in all, may 3 out of 5. now that I think about I made have been a bit harsh. I'll admit that I'm a fanboy and as a fanboy I get butthurt when things aren't done 100% correct.
I actually talk to the guy who translates this (in fact I sent him the novels, which he could've dug out of share but I had it on my hand so, on a whim; I wanted him to translate Zaregoto to English more <__< actually), so I might be able to shed some light on his translation style. He tries to localize a lot of the stuff, which doesn't really work most of the time (examples like guji/guuji (宮司) and negi (禰宜), which he translated to monk and ritualist is not entirely correct obviously). This is why you see some of those stuff like moe --> hawt, but I don't find those distracts too much from my overall experience of the novel when reading his translation.

BUT, Japanese is his third language, and he only started translating this a while ago, so I must say even though his style is somewhat faulty, his translation for most part is still pretty accurate for his style.

EDIT: Kudos to everyone working on this, I am very impressed with people who take on Nisio's work to translate. /bow
EDIT2: By the way, I think someone should translate 6-8 of Tsubasa Cat+Epilogue, since the end of 5 is where the anime left off. THIS DOESN'T MEAN I THINK REST OF THE TRANSLATION SHOULD BE SKIPPED =(. Just some service to the people who can't wait for the anime.

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2009-12-21 at 04:08.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote