View Single Post
Old 2010-09-03, 11:23   Link #131
Bananawaffles

It's hard to come up with mistakes that aren't necessarily personal preferences, but I'm going to try my best and make up a list of things I've noticed.

1) Splitting lines in the wrong place or not timing it to a break in the speaker's sentence.

2) Having 2 lines show up at once when 2 people speak one right after the other, instead of one line at a time. Naturally when you're reading subs, you read the whole thing at once, so it takes away from the show when you already know what's coming.

3) Not translating certain texts that appear on screen. Examples would be newspapers or cellphone texts.

4) From this thread I understand that TL: Notes are a preference, so I think the biggest mistake when they are included is that they don't stay up long enough to read.

A few more things that may just be a preference...

5) Using honorifics after everyone's name. If you are watching the show, chances are you have the sound on and can pick up -kun or -san. And if even you can't pick it up, does it really have that much importance to the story? Exception being if they use a strange honorific as some sort of joke.

6) Using the person's name instead of "you" or "I". Example being, "Well I know Sora-chan doesn't like that," and the speaker is obviously talking right to Sora-chan who probably knows her own name and doesn't need the reminded.
Bananawaffles is offline   Reply With Quote